With the release of mists of pandaria, we now have the ability to farm. This ability doesn’t exactly sound like the best thing you could possibly do with your time, but is actually very popular and, a little bit of fun. What I love most about farming is that it is actually incredibly profitable, especially if you do your research and know what your looking for and what you need to grow. Not only that, but aside from the profits it is also a chance to get another exalted reputation!
Must… Farm.. .MORE
In another post I talked about using bank alts and auction toons, not only are these alts very useful for those specific purposes but if you actually can level them to level 85, they can also do the farming every day. At first this may not seem like it is very profitable and it may not seem like it’s the best thing to do but when you consider that when you are not playing most toons, you could literally login to them once a day, harvest your crops, plant new ones, and then proceed to sell what you’ve grown on the auction house. Right now I’m actually using four of my toons to farm every single day.
With my one level 90 able to plant up to 16 crops a day, two of my characters able to grow eight crops daily, and one of my toons able to grow only four, I have the combined ability to grow 36 crops every day. With the ability to grow 36 crops per day, that translates to five vegetables for every crop. That is a massive 180 vegetables daily!
This method has two wonderful effects, I can sell the vegetables on the auction house, or I can trade them in for Ironpaw tokens and buy 100 year soy sauce. So even if the vegetables I am growing are not very profitable in the long run, the ability to trade them in for Ironpaw tokens and subsequently get 100 year soy sauce, I could net a pretty hefty profit per day with little work at all. Its almost as easy as using the auction house, a little bit of work can literally make you gold as you sleep! Even including all of the above, there are also a few other factors that one might want to consider before they start their farming runs.
How to Start Your Farm
Starting to farm is very simple, and it can be done on any of your alts that are level 85 or higher. The run to get there is rather treacherous, but that’s a risk we take for making more gold! You can find all the quest information here on wowhead. The quests are fairly simple to complete, and can be done on your lvl 85. I suggest you level them up a bit or get a friend to assist you in completing the additional chain quests as necessary.
4 Tips for Better Farming Profits
- Always check your auction house for the various prices of vegetables you have the ability to grow. In some instances you can actually make more profit simply from selling the vegetables that you grow as opposed to trading them in for tokens. On my server this is a very rare event and usually it is better to grab the tokens, but you should always check to make sure. Even after discovering that some vegetables may sell for more, you may want to test the market, and watch the trends.
- A good tip to keep in mind is once you are exalted with the Tillers faction, you can begin to grow motes of harmony. If you need things for your professions, you can always forgo profits; instead growing motes of harmony. I personally do this, not for using with professions, but for increased profits. Keep in mind, this can only be done once you reach Exalted Status with the Tillers.
- Once you reached revered status with one of your characters, you can pick up the bound on account item which doubles your reputation gains across all characters. I highly suggest that you level at least one character to exalted before you start worrying with the others. This is not simply because you don’t need the other toons to do it, but it is incredibly beneficial to get the double reputation bonus.
- Usually the most profitable thing you can do when farming is in fact growing the motes of harmony once exalted. You can use your other characters to grow other crops if they are not yet exalted, and trade them for the tokens, but since you can also trade the motes of harmony for tokens at a better rate I would always suggest doing this instead of growing vegetables simply because it is faster and more profitable in the long run.
- Gaining friendship is part of doing the tillers Quest lines and dailies. These friendships don’t really offer you anything but some neat vanity items. If you want to get two achievements, you can max out all of the friendships with them and get some neat rewards in return. The best way I have found to get my friendship up is using the DarkSoil in conjunction with Vlud’s Tiller Gifts, you can find more info and download links on My Addons Page.
I hope these tips have helped you in some way, and if they have please like this post and subscribe to the blog for more like it. Also keep in mind that I am usually revising these posts as I think of more things and more tips become available. I will always comment on my posts if I provide new information. Also if you have any tips that I’ve left out please don’t hesitate to email me. You can find my email in the contacts page on the left.